Funds secured to expand supper club for young people
In April our Family Team secured a grant of £850 from Brighton and Hove Food Partnership to expand on our cooking group for young people affected by domestic abuse.
The group was set up as a pilot for children and young people affected by domestic abuse, to improve self-esteem, social skills and relationships within the family unit..
The grant will allow us to expand this and run a series of six-week two-hour courses, to include discussion around foods and mood, meal planning and budgeting.
The group begins with a visit to Modello’s pizza academy at the Marina where the young people will learn how to make pizzas with the chefs that work there. It will also include a trip to Stoneham Bakery in Hove to learn how to make bread. On the final week families are invited to come and join us for a communal community meal cooked by those attending the group. The children are recording their recipes in a book that will be copied for each member to take away with them on the last week.
The group has been developed with the children’s input, and the grant has allowed us to build upon their requests and respond to their feedback – such as:
- Needs to be longer – an hour is too short
- I would like to make bigger dishes, by using a hob
- A larger selection of ingredients
The recipe book is an example of a young person’s idea being integrated into the group programme.
Throughout the pilot we have identified a number of positive outcomes for those who attended the groups, such as:
- Integration with other young people
- Improved self-esteem on producing a meal
- Reinforces that young people have a valuable contribution to make
- Encourages independent thinking and problem solving, trying new things
- Reinforces boundaries
- Promotes groupwork and shared ownership
- Enhanced relationships within family units
- Educates around food and mood and food on a budget.
We look forward to working in partnership with local businesses in the community to help us build upon these, and welcome anyone who wishes to get involved with RISE in this way.